Collection of the Lower Saxony
Institute of Apiculture
Tel. 05141/ 9050340
Opening times: open day on the first Sunday in September 10 am to 5 pm
Guided tours by prior arrangement
The collection belonging to the Lower Saxony Institute of Apiculture was given a home in an old loft to be used as a museum building in 1931. Equipment, hives etc. from beekeepers from the Lüneburg Heath had already been given to the Institute, which was founded in 1927. The number of exhibits grew over the years, and as the opportunity presents itself, is constantly being extended.
Since 1977 the apicultural exhibits from the Lüneburg Heath and from neighbouring areas have been housed in the old loft, while the development of modern apiculture, forms of traditional apiculture from abroad, apicultural products and biologicals aspects of bees, bumble bees, wasps (hornets) are presented in the former orange house in the part in which Seville oranges were once cultivated, belonging to the duke. Thus, it is possible to win an interesting insight into the economical and ecological significance of apiculture, especially hive beekeeping on the Lüneburg Heath here in the museum.
The collections on the history of apiculture and beekeeping are not an independent institution or an individual department. They serve as visual aids in the fields of training, advice, teaching, research and public relations for the Institute. The museum is inofficially named after Max Böcker from Eschede, the highly acknowledged collector who procured most of the exhibits, and who was also a teacher and folklore historian. Böcker published various books, including one about the fundamental principals of the "Beekeeper´s Hatchet".