The Farm Museum in Winsen




Part of the Farm Museum in Winsen

The Farm Museum in Winsen
Brauckmanns Kerkstieg
29308 Winsen (Aller)
Tel. 05143/8140

Opening times:
Easter to October on Sunday and bank holidays 11 am to 6 pm, Wednesday and Saturday 3 pm to 6 pm or by prior arrangement

The Farm Museum in Winsen is an open air museum depicting a farm typical of the southern area of the Lüneburg Heath. It consists of six historical buildings: the farm house, a barn for general use, a loft, a house with the bread oven, a hay loft and pigsty. The museum is completed by a well, bricked in sandstone with a well, complete with a socalled "Bornwippe", a herb garden and several bee hives.
The Lower Saxony farm house forms the centre of the museum, built with two upright supporting beams in 1653. Both the barns are of a construction with three upright supporting beams.

The interior of the buildings, especially of the farm house, convey a good insight into the daily life and economical situation of the rural population in the southern Lüneburg Heath from the 17th till the late 19th century. The local Cultural Society sponsors the museum. There are two further historical buildings in the immediate vicinity: the coach house from 1860 is used by the Society for spinning and weaving. Since 1990 another farmhouse built in 1795 constructed with two upright supporting beams, known as "Dat groode Hus", serves as a venue all year round for readings, concerts, exhibitions and lectures.