Im Kreise 24
29221 Celle

Opening times:
Tues to Thurs 3 pm to 5 am
Fri 9 am to 11 am
Sun 11 am to 1 pm
and by prior arrangement with the Tourist Information Office, Tel. 05141/ 12452

Towards the end of the 17th century several Jewish families settled just outside the town walls, in the Blumlage. Permission to erect a sacral building was given to the congregation in 1737. The Synagoge, a simple timber frame building, was built as the back of a tenement house on the plot of Im Kreise 24 and has a prestigions interior. Parts of the Thorah and the offertory box are from that era, the carved dates giving an indication as to when building took place. The remaining interior and ritual objects were destroyed in the night of the pogrom during the Third Reich (Nov 9th, 1938).

After 1942 Jewish citizens from Celle were housed in the building, before being deported to extermination camps. The Synagoge was converted at the end of the 19th century which resultated in the extension of the women´s gallery, which impaired the symmetry of the interior. The Almemor and Bima date from the time of the new Jewish congregation founded in 1945 by survivors of the Holocaust. After 1950 the building was left to decay. In 1969 the town took it into its possession, it was restored extensively and opened to the public in 1974.

In 1996 the adjacent house, Im Kreise 23, was assimilated into the Synagoge complex. It houses a small museum showing alternating exhibitions on Jewish themes. Today, the Synagoge is used for functions and as house of prayer by the Jewish congregation in Celle, founded in 1997. The Jewish cemetery, laid out in 1690 in the street Am Berge, can also be visited by prior arrangement.